Skip to Content


Important Tax Season Update

Dear Friends, 


Tax season is upon us again, and some tax policies have changed since last year. Here’s a brief overview of what you need to know:


The filing deadline is April 18th.


The filling deadline to submit 2022 tax returns and pay tax owed is Tuesday, April 18, 2023, for most taxpayers.


If you need more time to file, you can request an extension from the IRS. To do so, file an electronic Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, by the April 18th filing deadline. Those with an extension will have until Monday, October 16, 2023, to file their 2022 tax return.

Inflation Reduction Act

The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 changed a wide range of tax laws, including the creation of new tax credits and rebates to promote clean energy, and provided funds to improve IRS services and technology to make tax filing easier for Americans. Since the IRA is a 10-year plan, not all of the changes go into effect immediately. Here’s some important information to know when filing your 2022 tax return:


  1. Residential Energy Credits
    1. The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 amended the tax credits for energy efficient home improvements.
    2. Who is eligible for these tax credits?
      1. Homeowners who purchase energy and other efficient appliances and products.
    3. Can you receive the credits if you are a renter?
      1. Yes! If a taxpayer is renting a home as their principal residence and makes eligible improvements, a tax credit may be available to such tenant.
    4. How to receive the credits: Use Form 5695 to figure and take your residential energy credits.
    5. Find answers to more common questions about residential energy credits here and here.


  1. Electric Vehicle Credits 
    1. The electric vehicle tax credit is a nonrefundable tax credit offered to taxpayers who purchase qualifying plug-in electric or “clean” vehicles.
    2. If you bought a new, qualified plug-in electric vehicle in 2022 or before, you may be eligible for a clean vehicle tax credit up to $7,500.
      1. To claim the credit for a vehicle you took possession of in 2022, file Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (Including Qualified Two-Wheeled Plug-in Electric Vehicles) with your 2022 tax return.
      2. For vehicles purchased before 2022, you may be able to claim the credit by filing an amended return for the tax year when you took possession of the vehicle. See Instructions for Form 8936.

You can find information on NY State tax credits here.


New online option for notices can help resolve tax issues faster


It can be frustrating to receive a notice in the mail from the IRS, but this year taxpayers who receive certain notices requiring them to send information to the IRS now have the option of submitting their documentation online. This new secure step will allow you or to electronically upload documents rather than mailing them in, helping reduce time and effort resolving tax issues. 

Tips to protect against identity theft this filing season

  1. The IRS won’t call you threatening legal action. If you receive a call like this, hang up; it’s a scam!
  2. Don’t respond to or click links in text messages, emails or social media posts claiming to be the IRS. They may contain malware that could compromise your personal information.
  3. Protect your personal and financial information. Never provide this information in response to unsolicited text messages, emails or social media posts claiming to be the IRS.
  4. Report fraud to law enforcement. Submit Form 3949-A, Information Referral, if you suspect an individual or a business is committing fraud.
 Get Help


If you need help filing your 2022 return, there are many filing resources available to you at no cost, including:

  1. Eligible individuals or families can get free help preparing their tax return at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) sites.
    1. Taxpayers can find the closest free tax return preparation help using the VITA Locator Tool or by calling 800-906-9887.
    2. People can find an AARP Tax-Aide site using the AARP Site Locator Tool or by calling 1-888-227-7669.
  1. Any individual or family earning $73,000 or less in 2022 can use tax software through IRS Free File at no cost. There are products in English and Spanish.
  1. MilTax, a Department of Defense program, offers free return preparation software and electronic filing for federal tax returns and up to three state income tax returns. It's available for all military members and some veterans, with no income limit.
  2. IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers
    1. Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) operate by appointment. To visit your local Taxpayer Assistance Center: Find the office you need to visit and make an appointment by calling the appointment number at (844) 545-5640
    2. Services are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and the IRS will again offer additional Saturday hours at many TACs across the country. The special openings are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., on March 11, April 8 and May 13. During these times, people can walk in to receive in-person help without an appointment.
    3. The IRS’s Contact Your Local Office site lists all services provided at specific TACs.
    4. People can receive help resolving a tax account or other issues. If assistance from IRS employees specializing in these services isn’t available, the individual will receive a referral for these services. Taxpayer Advocate Service employees may also be available to assist with issues that meet certain criteria. Foreign language interpretation will be available in many languages through an over-the-phone translation service.
 IRS Online Services

You can get help with most tax issues online. On you can:

  1. Set up a payment plan
  2. Get a transcript of your tax return
  3. Make a payment
  4. Check on your refund
  5. Find answers to many of your tax questions
  6. File your tax return online
  7. View your account information
  8. Find out where to file your return


As always, my constituent services team is here to help you. You can submit a request for assistance with an issue you’re experiencing with the IRS or another federal agency here. 

I hope you find this update on my work for you helpful. To receive more updates like these, click here to sign up. If I can ever be of assistance with a federal issue or any other matter of concern, please contact me by email at or call one of my offices listed below.




Jerrold Nadler

Member of Congress 
Back to top